What is Dating Violence?
The term “dating violence” is violence committed by a person against another person with whom he or she has been in a social relationship of a romantic or intimate nature. The existence of such a relationship shall be determined based on the length of the relationship, the type of relationship and the frequency of interaction between the persons involved in the relationship.
How do I know if I am in a violent relationship?
● Dating violence includes one or more of the following:
● Physical Abuse – hitting, choking, pushing, threats of physical violence and more.
● Emotional Abuse – constant threats, criticism, jealous behavior and trying to isolate you from friends and family.
● Sexual Abuse – sexual assault, pressure to perform sex acts, and sexual harassment.
What to do:
● Report incidents of abuse to the police.
● Document all incidents of abuse.
● Photograph all marks, bruises or any other type of injuries.
● Alert family and friends of the abuse.
● Seek counseling.